Frank Herbert (1890 – 1976)
The photographic business was started in Durham by Frank’s grandfather, Robert. Before becoming a photographer, Robert had been a taxidermist, a barber, a bit of a poacher and had even practised a little bloodletting!
Frank’s father Henry moved to Bowness in 1886 and started a business ‘St. Martin’s Studio’ on Lake Road. (Note Frank standing outside in this photo and the studio’s glass roof which is still there.)
Frank ran the business with his brother Louis. In World War One, Frank served as a motorcycle despatch rider with the Border Regiment in India and Mesopotamia, whilst Louis was a photographer in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force.
The business of Herbert & Sons was sold in 1960 upon Frank’s retirement.
We are very grateful to Joan Ledger for permission to reproduce her father’s photos.