Borwick & Sons
On 10 February 1900, the partnership formed in 1890 of Nathaniel Shepherd and Isaac Borwick was amicably dissolved.
Isaac Borwick began a new business with his sons: John as draughtsman and master yacht builder, George dealing with administration and Arthur in the engineering department. The location remained at Cockshott, Bowness-on-Windermere.
The association with aviation began in early 1910 with the floats and aeroplanes of Oscar Gnosspelius, and included propellers, maintenance and repair.
In 1918, they were subcontracted by Dick, Kerr & Co. of Preston to construct Felixtowe F.3 flying boat hulls.
Whilst new opportunities were presented to Borwick’s, they were not without personal risk! In September 1912, Arthur Borwick lost the tops of 2 fingers which came into contact with a propeller (which ironically he had made) when turning it to start Waterhen’s (Waterbird’s successor) engine. George Borwick was turning a propeller when the engine roared into life and the propeller did ‘quick and irreparable damage to his traditional summer straw hat’. – Windermere Motor Boat Racing Club: from 1925 to 1975 by G Lambert and G Nayler.
They became Borwick’s (Windermere) Limited and their premises were demolished during 1973-75 upon being taken over by Windermere Aquatic Limited in 1972.